Nombre total de pages vues

lundi 20 octobre 2014

#Research

(Send me your opinion or any comment. I will insert it in this section for the benefit of other researchers. Your opinion must be signed and accompanied by your email address which will be shown also). Feel free to write in French or in English.

October 24, 2014
Two muster rolls in the name of Phillip Long in Trois-Rivières (1839). This soldier could be the son of Philip.

October 24, 2014
There is a protestant church in Wirmighausen called St-Thomas-Kirche Rhena
http://protestant-churches.near-me.eu/poi/5328d09dcbb5efac5d00e69b

October 25, 2014
Reading Attwood’s book about the Waldeck regiment. It is almost a diary, a day-to-day report of the activities of the Waldeck before and after they set foot in New York. He describes the trip all the way from Germany to NY. I will certainly open up a section on the blog to tell about it. There are some references that important enough that I will order more books and microfilms.

I have the book of John Mann. I took a snapshot of what he wrote about his visit at Philip’s farm.

I found two muster roll (1839) about Phillip Long in Trois-Rivières that you can find in the RESEARCH section  of the blog. I was amazed by the way the clerk wrote the name of Phillip Long who couldn’t write his own name on the muster roll like a few other soldiers. It is the same style of writing as Philip, my ancester. Did this clerk went to the same school as Philip?

My priorities are to find all information about the Waldeck and making contact with a german genealogist in order to find a birth certificate.

I will make a table of all the Hessian soldiers by the name of LANGE who came to America in 1775-1783.

October 26, 2014
I’ve inserted a new section on the blog called Arrival. It describes the voyage of the 1st Division, the 2nd Division and the Waldeck Regiment. Philip Long arrived in 1776 in New York after 130 days on the Atlantic, a voyage that was expected to last 40 days. Most ship commanders preferred to travel in the Autumn as the winds are stronger.

October 27, 2014
I’ve added a section to the blog about Desertion inspired by Rodney Attwood’s book, the Hessians. I should have read this book ten years ago instead of search the Web for documents pertaining to Philip Long. Before understanding a soldier’s behavior, it is an absolute prerequisite to learn about the war itself. Never too late to learn a good lesson from serious and competent writers.

October 29, 2014
I have received the book of Clifford Neal Smith, Mercenaries from Hessen-Hahau who remained in Canada and the Unites States after the American Revolution. Not a single Lange is mentioned in his book. I don’t know yet if there was any in that particular regiment. I’m waiting for the book of Bruce Burgoyne about the Waldeck regiment.

I have extracted from Ancestry all the Langes who participated in the ARW. Surprisingly, I have found many of them that are not mentioned in the Marburg global file. This fact is not surprising. There might be many explanations to this difference. I’m going to search the Marburg file again.

November 2, 2014
I have published two more sections of my blog, No 16 and No 17.

My list of Langes and Langs who were Hessians during the ARW in more complete than the one of HETRINA at Marburg. Consequently, Marburg doesn’t have a complete list of those Hessians. It is understandable because the soldiers were from six german Principalities. I don’t know, though, why their list was not ungraded over the years. I will publish my list very soon. I want to add on all kinds of information about each one of them.

For some of those soldiers, it is difficult to add infomation because some of them had the same name. There are, for instance, many Heinrich Lange. I have many « arrival records » for  Heinrich Lange, but it is impossible to pin them to the proper Heinrich Lange in HETRINA.

November 2, 2014
I have added a modified list of Hessians in the ARW (Muster rolls section).

November 16, 2014
Another section is ready for publication. My writings were largely inspired by the book of Bruce E. Burgoyne on the Waldeck Regiment. His book was very helpful in many ways, especially to clarify the desertions of Philip Long. We also learned that Philip was a prisoner of war.

November 18, 2014
Publication of No 20 based on the books of Burgoyne and Volm.
I’ve redoned the list of Lange/Lang who participated in the ARW, some 75 of them. I’m planning a trip to the Harriett Irving Library. They have many microfilms about the Hessians, even those of NS. I want to find as many of them (who stayed in Canada) and changed their name to Long.

November 22, 2014
I’m trying to get a particular document from Marburg Archives and another from the Evangelical Church (Germany). As of this day, there is only one document that will prove that Philipp Lange is Philip Long, my ancestor. I hope it does exist at Marburg or in the Principality of Waldeck. The birth certificate is not such a proof.

Another goal is to find the Langes who stayed in America after the ARW and those who came back after 1983. I have found one case in the family trees where the family has a doubt about the birth place of their ancestor, USA or Germany. My blog should help them pursue their research.

November 24, 2014
Publication of No 22. It seems that Zacharias Long could be a Brunswick deserter who enlisted in the Patriots. His descendants are in doubt concerning his origins, American ou German. My blog could help them kiskstart their research.

November 27, 2014
Publication of an article in Le Devoir about the Hessian who stayed in Québec after the Revolution. They went as far as « borrowing » French-Canadian family names to integrate themselves into their host communities and avoid being discriminated against. They didn’t want either their children to learn to speak German. It explains why so many of these families don’t know to this day that their ancestor was a German mercenary during the Revolution. Most of them were part of the Brunswick Regiment that arrived in Québec in the Spring of 1776. On average, between 1776 and 1783, 4 500 Brunswickers stayed in Québec and lived in the French-Canadian families.

December 5, 2014
I have received important documents from Katherine Ludwig, librarian at the David College in Pennsylvania. Two of these documents are muster rolls of the 3rd Waldeck for the period of 1777 to 1778. It proves that Philipp Lange deserted only once and not twice like Bruce E. Burgoyne had assumed. Katherine is very devoted.

J’ai terminé la rédaction du No 23 en langue française. Cette section se veut un compte-rendu de l’état actuel de ma recherche.

I have hired a professionnal genealogist living at Marburg. It should facilitate the research at the Marburg Archives. I have ask him to, primarily, look for an enlistment document, if it exists at all. A birth certificate would be interesting, but it would not prove oe disprove my basic hypothesis.

I’ve also placed a request at the PRO in Kew, England. I want to find any muster roll other than the ones sent to me by Katherine or any other document pertaining to the 3rd Waldeck.

January 2, 2015
Reading the book written by Daniel Krebs, A Generous and Merciful enemy. Life for German Prisoners of War during the American Revolution.

Resear ch in Germany will resumed January 15. The hired genealogist will look for the birth certificate of Philipp Lange in Korbac.

Studying various signatures by Germans in Pennsylvania during and after the Revolution.

Adding on a few sections of my blog.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire